Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pumpkin Muffins (Low carb and gluten free)

From reading so many cooking blogs, I always feel like I have to be careful how I label my recipes. Making sure not to use words like paleo, primal, gluten free, etc...out of context. Well I don't really care how you label these, they are delicious! When we first started eating a grain free diet I really struggled with baking. I felt like most of the recipes calling for coconut flour or almond flour ended up being too moist or even eggy, yuck! With the ingredients being so expensive in comparison to white flour and white sugar I have been hesitant to experiment with recipes as I would have done before. But after trying many recipes and not liking several of them, I am getting a little braver!

This recipe uses almond flour and certified gluten free oat flour, which I know is not grain free but we eat small amounts in moderation. Also, I really love combining oat flour with coconut or almond flours! It gives the muffin or bread a light, tender crumb which is something I have missed! They are moist but not soggy in the middle or eggy and they tender but hold together really well and do not crumble apart in your hands. These are really a perfect low carb, gluten free muffin!

Normally, I do not like anything added in my pumpkin bread/muffins. However, I made half with raisins and pecans and half without and I really loved the one with the raisins and pecans! Make however you like!


Pumpkin Muffins (Low carb and gluten free)
2 Cups Almond Flour (I use Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour)
1/2 Cup Certified Gluten Free Oat Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking powder
1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
2 Eggs
2 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 Cup minus 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Puree (I make my own)
1/3 Cup Pure Maple Syrup

Optional add-ins:
1/2 Cup chopped Pecans and 1/2 Cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 and line 15 muffin cups with paper liners or grease well with butter or coconut oil. Sift all dry ingredients into a small bowl and set aside. Whisk or beat together wet ingredients, whisk in dry ingredients until everything is well combined (remember there's no gluten so you will not over mix). Scoop into muffin cups using an ice cream scoop (I got 15 muffins out of this).

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-25 minutes, toothpick should come out clean when done. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment